The following is a gallery of former Stoughton Taverns and Hotels from the 1700's to the 1900's


Doty's Tavern

Doty's Tavern (site located at the foot of the Great Blue Hill in present day Canton, Mass.) This structure was operated as a tavern by John Shepard and Col. Thomas Doty while this area was Stoughton.  This tavern played an important role in the history of the Suffolk Resolves and the American Revolutionary War.  See Huntoon's Doty's Tavern Article from 1876 for more details.  This Tavern burned on December 20, 1888.



Capen's Hall

(Image showing the northeast corner of Park and Pleasant Streets)

Abraham and Benjamin Capen's Hall was located on the site of the Stoughton Historical Society (Lucius Clapp Memorial Building) at Park and Pleasant Streets.  This three story Federal tavern was built in 1799, torn down ca. 1865. Similar structures can still be seen today on High Street in Newburyport, Massachusetts.  The image above is the only known photograph of the structure which was taken down in the early 1860's.  In the image below part of the porch on Capen's Tavern can be seen in the far right corner.  The structure immediately behind the porch appears to be a stable or a barn.  During the Civil War this structure was used for barracks for soldiers.




Washington Hotel later Swan's Hotel / Tavern


Washington Hotel later Capt. Elisha Swan's Hotel / Tavern located at Turnpike and Central Streets. The following five photographs were taken in 1940 [Exterior - front facing;  Exterior - looking east towards Central Street (Photo 1) and (Photo 2); Interior Stair case; First Floor fireplace -  linked from the Library of Congress American Memory Collection.  Historic diagrams and floor plans created in 1935 - Library of Congress - American Memory website.


Cobb's Tavern

Cobb's Tavern (in present day East Sharon, Mass.) This is presently a private home on Bay Road, near Cobb's Corner. A detailed history of Cobb's Tavern from the Library of Congress - American Memory website.  This was a post office location for many years. A series of exterior and interior photographs are available on the Library of Congress American Memory Collection. 

Additional Tavern links and information


Back to the main page of