Civil War Veteran with - Co. I. 12th Massachusetts Infantry


Obituary and a short biography from the The Stoughton Record, August 17, 1906


Died in Stoughton, Aug. 14, 1906, Lysander Wood, Aged 70 years 10 months 20 days. He was born in North Bridgewater, now Brockton, Sept. 16, 1835 and was the son of Samuel and Mary Wood. His father was killed in the Mexican war in 1847. He lived with mother until 12 years of age, and served an apprenticeship with Albert Holbrook, boot and shoe manufacturer, and soon afterward made his home in this town.

On the evening of April 29th 1861, a grand "war rally" was held in Chemung hall. Active and leading citizens of the town were present and with flattering words strove to induce the young men to leave the peaceful pursuits of civil life and go forth to participate in cruel warfare that our republic might be saved from dishonor and shame. During that evening the name of Lysander Wood, with about 20 other names of Stoughton men, was placed upon the rolls of the new company which afterward became known as Co. I. 12th Mass. infantry.

On June 26th 1861, he was mustered into the service and faithfully served the three years term, being mustered out of the service July 8, 1864. At the battle of Gettysburg he was taken prisoner by the rebels and was confined in Libby prison but after a short confinement was paroled and sent to his regiment.

Post 72 G.A.R. was instituted on Dec. 10, 1868, and though not a charter member yet he joined the Post on the evening it was instituted and for 20 years was very attentive to all the interests of the organization. He served the Post as commander for nine years and as senior and junior vice commander for five years. He continued his membership to the time of his decease. For a long time he had been a member of Stoughton Lodge I.O.O.F. and was a past noble grand.

His first wife died in 1880 and in May 1892 he married Louisa A. Kennan who survives him. He also leaves a son Herbert I. Wood of Brockton.

The funeral services were held on Thursday afternoon at his late home on Pleasant st., the pastor of the Unitarian church at Canton officiating. Post 72 G.A.R. and Stoughton Lodge, I.O.O.F. each attend in a body. The ritual funeral service of the Lodge being performed at the grave. The interment was in Evergreen cemetery.

Back to the main page of