HENRY WILLIAMS BRITTON
Town Selectman, Town Treasurer, and owner of the First Automobile in Stoughton.
Obituary from The Stoughton News-Sentinel, August 22, 1924
Ex-Selectman, Ex-Town Treasurer, Ex-Representative and Ex-Secretary Treasurer of the Cooperative Bank of Stoughton Henry Williams Britton, a lifelong resident of this town, died at his home 359 Water street, Wednesday, August 20th, at 1:45
Mr. Britton had not been in good health for the past two years, but up to about a year ago attended to his duties at the Cooperative Bank and the insurance business of Britton and Blake.
Mr. Britton served this district in the General Court being elected since it was founded and served as saw the need of a banking institution in Stoughton and founded the firm of H. W. Britton & Company. He sold the business to the, Stoughton Trust Company in December, 1912. He served the town as Selectman for eight years, being chairman of the board for a number of years, and in 1898 he was appointed treasurer of the town which position he held for 15 years, being elected yearly by the voters.
Henry W. Britton was a native of Stoughton and had always made Stoughton his home. After his public school education he entered the Bryant & Stratton Business College and at the age of 18 years he entered the office of French & Ward Mills at West Stoughton and remained with that firm for 21 years.
While in the employ of that firm he became interested in the insurance business, and in 1883 opened an office in the square.
Several years ago he took in his son-in-law, Ralph S. Blake, and formed the company of Britton & Blake, Insurance, of which firm he was the senior partner at the time of his death.
Mr. Britton won the confidence of the people of Stoughton, serving as treasurer for many organizations for many years. Mr. Britton was always interested in all that pertains to historic Stoughton; He is one of the oldest members of the Stoughton Historical Society.
Mr. Britton at the time of his death was  years 6 months and 7 days old. The son of Joshua and Olive Fuller White-Britton. He married Miss Emma K. Cobbett of this town on July 8, 1872, who died a few years ago.
Mr. Britton was a member of Rising Star Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Mt. Zion Royal Arch Chapter, of which he was a past High Priest; and at the time of his death was the oldest member; also a member of Bay State Commandry, Knight Templars of Brockton, Aleppo Order of Mystic Shrine of Boston, Stoughton Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., Mt. Hebron Encampment, Perseverance Rebekah Lodge, Post 72, G. A. R. Associates, Stoughton Veteran Fireman's Association, and its treasurer from its inception; Stoughton Historical Society, Stoughton Grange. He was the clerk and a member of the Board of
Directors of the Co-Operative Bank since it was founded and served its treasurer for 36 years. He was a member and ardent supporter of the Massachusetts Bee Association, and always attended their outings. He was identified with the Universalist Church and gave liberally to its support.
Mr. Britton is survived by three brothers, Horace E. Britton of this town, E. Clinton Britton of Canton, and Ellis F. Britton, Colorado; one sister, Melissa L. Morse of Charlotte, N. C.; three daughters, Mrs. Ralph S. Blake, Mrs. Dennis Healy, both of Stoughton, and Mrs. Howard G. Smith of Attleboro, also four grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held from his late residence, 359 Water street, Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. Charles M. Tenney of Southbridge, and former pastor of the Universalist Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery
Back to the main page of www.StoughtonHistory.com