FRED C. PHILLIPS
Founder of F.C. Phillips Inc., of Stoughton
Fred C. Phillips is contributing to that result which is fact making Stoughton a most important manufacturing and commercial center, with its ramifying trade interests reaching out to all sections of the country. He is actively engaged in the manufacture of screw machine products and the spirit of enterprise and initiative which underlies his work in producing most substantial and gratifying results. Mr. Phillips is a native of Massachusetts, his birth having occurred at North Wilbraham on the 16th of July, 1884. He is a son of Moses and Viola (Hall) Phillips, who were natives of Massachusetts. The father was a barber by trade and followed that business throughout his entire life, death terminating his labors in 1887. His wife survived him for about twelve years and died in 1899.
Fred C. Phillips, spending his youthful days in Chicopee, Massachusetts, pursued his education there and then started out in the business world in a machine shop. He learned the trade of tool making and remained in the employ of others for eight years but was ambitious to engage in business of his own account and through that period carefully saved his earnings until his economy and industry had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to start in business for himself. He entered into partnership with Harry Mellor, organizing the Mellor Manufacturing Company of Springfield, Massachusetts. This association was maintained for one year, at the end of which time Mr. Mellor's health failed and he sold his interest in the business to George Brown. Eight months later, however, Mr. Brown's health also failed and Mr. Phillips then took over the management of the business, which he continued to conduct fox two and a half years. On the expiration of that period he sold out and removed to Stoughton, Massachusetts, on the 16th of November, 1911. He embarked in business on his own account with four machines at the Norris Pedal Company, with one boy as assistant. He has made a success from the beginning and soon his business outgrew his first factory, which was inadequate for the demands of the trade after three and one-half years. He then built a large modern factory at No. 471 Washington street and employs twenty people. His business extends all over the United States and screw machine products of his manufacture are found in all sections of the country. Mr. Phillips has ever been actuated by a spirit of indomitable enterprise and determination and will brook no obstacles that can be overcome by continued effort and honorable purpose.
On the 18th of July, 1914, Mr. Phillips was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Pratt, a daughter of George W. and Carrie (Pierce) Pratt, the former a native of Chelsea and the latter of West Towns-end, Massachusetts. They became early residents of Stoughton, where they still make their home. Her father is serving as assessor, as selectman and overseer of the poor and has taken a very prominent and active part in public affairs. To Mr. and Mrs. Phillips has been born one child, Beatrice H., whose birth occurred January 8, 1916.
The parents are members of the Congregational church and in politics Mr. Phillips maintains an independent course, voting according to the dictates of his judgment with little regard for party ties. Fraternally he is widely known through his connections as a member of the Masons, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His has been an active and useful life in which he has accomplished substantial results that place him among the leading business men of his community. He is yet a young man and there is no doubt as to his further advancement, for his salient characteristics are those which make for continued success.
Source: History of Norfolk County Massachusetts 1622-1918 (New York, S. J. Clark Publishing Co., 1918), 2:256-258
To go to the official website for the F.C. Phillips, Inc. go to www.fcphillips.com
Back to the main page of www.StoughtonHistory.com