EMERY CLINTON BRITTON, a stable-keeper of Canton, Mass., was born in Stoughton, Mass., November 14, 1858, son of Joshua and Olive F. (White)  Britton. His grandfather, Joshua Britton, was the first one of the family to settle in Easton , Mass. The Brittons trace their origin to three brothers who came from England at .in early period.

The father of Mr. Emery Clinton Britton was born December 27, 1819 . in Stoughton, where he still lives. He was a manufacturer of shoe machinery for the shoe trade, and still does some business in this line. In politics he is a Republican, but he has never held public office. He married Olive F. White, of Easton , of whose twelve children by him six are living. These are: Leander G., Melissa, Henry W., Horace E., Ellis  F., and Emery C.   Leander and Henry reside at Stoughton; Melissa is the wife of W. T. Morse, of West Medford , Mass; Horace E. now carries on his  father's business; and Ellis F. is interested in mining at Cripple Creek , Col.

Emery Clinton Britton obtained his general education in the public schools of his native town. Later he attended the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College at Boston, where he completed a course of study at the age of  nineteen. After this he was employed by his father for two years; and in 1883, June 15. he came to Canton. He started here in the livery and sale stable business. In 1889 he purchased the carriage repair shop of John Hall, and has now added that branch to his business. In his politics lie is a Republican. He is a member of the Blue Hill Lodge of Masons and of Royal Arch Chapter of Stoughton in both of which he has held offices. He is also connected with the Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 72, in Which he has , held office. He married Lizzie M. Cobb, of Sharon, daughter of Warren Cobb. They have one child, a daughter, Marjorie. The family attend the Universalist church.  

Source: Biographical Review - Volume XXV - Containing life sketches of leading citizens of Norfolk County Massachusetts. (Boston, Mass., Biographical Review Publishing Co., 1898), pgs. 155-156.


                                                   Back to Main Page at www.StoughtonHistory.com